I can hardly believe it’s been a year since I started this blog. I have enjoyed getting back into blogging, although looking at my monthly post counts, I’ve not posted as much as I did at first – I suppose that’s inevitable. But I have kept up, which is fairly impressive for me, I do tend to get bored of things.
Looking at my stats, I’ve posted 148 posts, and had 618 comments, although some of those will be me replying to people – something I do try to do, but don’t always get round to – they’re all read and appreciated though, so thanks to everyone who’s commented over the last year.
I am conscious that lately most of my posts have been finished knits, I try to think of other things to post about, but I think the winter and the flu stole my inspiration. Hopefully now the sun’s making a more regular appearance I’ll be inspired to a bit more variety, but for now, here’s another finished knit…
I’ve spent about an hour this morning trying to photograph this successfully, but it’s not been easy – the pale yarn and the sunshine haven’t gone well together. I tried it against the pale green wall in the conservatory, but it looked a bit washed out.
Then against the wardrobes in my bedroom
But that wasn’t ideal either. So I tried the garden.
And various trees and bushes.
None of them are perfect, but they give an idea.
I started this project just over three years ago, it’s Purity from Rowan 43, and did the stocking stitch centre in no time, but was then defeated yet again by written directions, coupled with the lack of a close up photo of the lace.
It all went horribly wrong, and I put it away for nearly three years until I could summon up the courage to rip back five long rows of Kidsilk Haze. I did manage it, and then sat down and made myself a chart.
Which made things a lot easier, although it still took me a while to see the pattern. It’s a six stitch repeat, as I worked out once I’d charted it, and I put a stitch marker every 30 stitches, so at least I knew that if I hit the marker at the wrong point in the repeat, I only had that bit to sort out. On the wrong side rows I diligently counted 30 between each marker, just to double check.
It’s garter lace, just to add another level of fun, but I did get there eventually. I used a crochet hook for the cast off, which I think gave a similar effect to the one in the book, but I was a bit past caring by then.
The reason for the garter lace is that the top straight edge of the shawl becomes a collar when it’s worn, so it needs to look the same on both sides. It’s all very effective, with the pointed ends rippling down the front nicely.
The construction is basically a shallow triangle, knitted from the bottom up. The top is then knitted on, and then stitches are picked up round the curved edge for the other border.
And you sew the ends together.
I’m not completely happy with the picked up stitches, there’s quite a distinct line round the bottom.
Maybe I should have picked them up closer to the edge. But I think that if I was going to do this again, I’d do a provisional cast on and short rows. But to be honest, there’s practically no chance of my ever doing this one again, the lace was very tedious, and whilst it’s pretty, I’m not sure what I was thinking of when I started it, I have no idea when I’m going to wear it – most of the ones on Ravelry are being worn by brides, and I have no plans to get married again!
I’m toying with the idea of dyeing it, but I think I’ll wait until I have an occasion to wear it, and dye it to match. The only problem with this is that I haven’t blocked it, as I like the frothiness of the lace as it is, and it might flatten out when it gets wet. Perhaps I’ll just find somewhere to drape it artistically and leave it there!
And one last photo – spotted on one of the bushes I was using, ladybirds and spiders.