Well, I’m (nearly) all ready for Knit Nation – I’m going down straight after work tomorrow, so my case has to be ready before I go to bed tonight. I packed most of it this morning, stopping every so often to remove Mollie – I’m never sure whether she wants to come with me, to stop me going, or whether it’s just a cat sized space, but as soon as I get the case out, there she is, purring loudly.
Anyway, because I still haven’t finished packing, tonight I put on the (still slightly damp) Corinne cardigan and took some photos. Priorities, I has them. It’ll probably look better with jeans, but I had a skirt on and was too lazy to change it.
It was a tad tedious to knit, but I’m pleased with it now it’s done. I did it pretty much as the pattern said – the only mods I made were to slip the first/edge stitch of each row purlwise with the yarn in the back, and to do five button holes instead of four.
The short rows make a nice round yoke, with a deep neck at the back.
I tried a few different buttons before settling on these pretty semi-translucent ones from my button box.
The details – the pattern is Corinne, a free pattern from Knitty. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere, now sadly discontinued – well, I say sadly, I haven’t seen how it wears yet, but it was pleasant to knit with, and it feels nice. I used about 9.5 balls. The needles were 4.5mm – the pattern says 4mm, but I always go up a size as I knit tightly. The blurb on Knitty says that the designer made it for her sister to wear at her wedding – I can’t say that it would be high on my list of suitable things to wear over a wedding dress, but it’s going to be a useful summer cardigan with jeans.
I didn’t purposely start to do two garter stitch projects at once, but I was also making a stripy baby blanket – actually I think they were both inspired by needing something easy to do whilst watching tennis. Corinne was made during Wimbledon (12 days start to finish), this was started earlier, during the French Open, and finished this week.
It’s a central panel, with the yarn carried up the side, then you pick up stitches and do the borders. I wasn’t too happy with the side with the yarns carried up, even though I wove them in at the end of every row by wrapping the working yarn round them, so I decided to do a line of double crochet up the edge.
Which did tidy it up nicely, but when I came to pick up stitches into the top of the crochet stitches, it started to look a bit odd.
So I ripped that out, and picked up in the same holes I’d crocheted into. That left the crochet flapping about on the reverse side, but I slip stitched it down once I’d finished, and it looks fine. I think. Or at least better than the scruffy edge I’d have had if I hadn’t done that.
It’s not a big blanket, just big enough for a buggy or car seat. Here it is with a cat for reference.
Now I just need to decide which baby to give it to!
The details – the pattern is Stripy Travel Rug, from the first Sublime baby book (I love that book, I’ve done most of the patterns in it now). The yarn is Sirdar Simply Recycled, which I still love, it’s just so soft, like an old t-shirt (apparently the recycled cotton in it comes from t-shirt production, so that could explain it!)
Right, off to lob the remainder of my belongings into my suitcase and get a good night’s sleep before the excitement of Knit Nation! My laptop’s going with me, so I should be able to blog as I go along – watch this space :)