I’ve finished my cape at last! What started as a nice easy antidote to the tediousness of the moss stitch and cables of the chunky jacket rapidly turned into an even worse task when I hit the ‘raspberry stitch’ edging – it’s a variant of trinity stitch, and was tedious beyond belief.
It ate yarn too – the body of the cape (without front edgings or collar) took three 100g balls of yarn, the lower border alone took a ball and a half of yarn, and the front borders and collar took another ball, taking me to five and a half balls in total, or 50g more than the pattern specified (I didn’t use the recommended yarn, but the yardages were the same). It could be that my row gauge was off, but since one wasn’t given in the pattern (!) I can’t really say.
But at last it was finished (although my hands are still recovering from all that increasing three stitches from one then purling three together). It doesn’t look as flattering on me as it does on the model in the book, but I’m reasonably pleased with it, and it’s used up some stash yarn (Rowan Scottish Tweed Aran, from the Great Kemps Haul of a couple of years ago), which has to be a good thing.
It’ll be a useful thing to put round my shoulders on chilly evenings, I think. I’m not quite sure about the raglan shaping, I think I should have changed to increasing every four rows earlier – there’s a bit of excess fabric at the increase lines. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the pattern or the book it came from (Nature’s Wrapture by Sheryl Thies), I’ve only skimmed it, but this was the only pattern which appealed to me, and some of the instructions seemed sloppy. Apart from the missing row gauge issue, the only measurements given for this pattern were the length and the bottom circumference, leaving you to guess whether to do the the sm/med or l/xl size. Also the buttonhole is written to be worked on the row before you cast off, which didn’t seem as though it would give enough support for the weight of the cape to me, so I did it a couple of rows earlier, then sewed round the edges to reinforce it.
The pattern is called Raspberries, but the purple looks more like blackberries to me, so that’s what I’ve called it. Talking of which, the back of my garden has once more been taken over by wild brambles.
I’ve made a start at chopping them down, I just need to finish off, have a big bonfire to get rid of them all, then put some weedkiller down to try and get rid of the blasted things. I say this every year, but somehow by the time I get round to it, the whole area’s waist high in growth again. I’m not one of nature’s gardeners. Thankfully the rest of the garden’s a bit better behaved, and does things like present me with these every spring, with no effort at all on my part.
There are huge swathes of snowdrops all over the place, and the occasional clump of crocuses.
Spring is on its way!